Anesthesiologists at Clinton Hospital provide care to surgical patients including:
- Consultation prior to surgery
- Delivery of medications for safe, pain-free surgery and monitoring life functions during surgery
- Postsurgical care as required
Generally, one of the following types of anesthesia is used:
- General anesthesia ensures that the patient is completely asleep and unaware of the procedure.
- Moderate sedation provides the appropriate medication to have surgery without discomfort, but not in a deep sleep.
- Regional anesthesia includes spinal, epidural and regional block anesthesia. Only the appropriate area of the body is numbed and the patient is able to communicate during the procedure.