We are located at the Hahnemann Campus, 1st floor. Follow the signs for parking.
The Anticoagulation Center at UMass Memorial Medical Center helps patients monitor and manage medications taken to prevent blood clots.
Many patients with conditions such as atrial fibrillation, deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism or other hereditary conditions will require the use of anticoagulants, also called blood thinners, to prevent clots from forming.
Treatment to Prevent Blood Clots: What to Expect
Our Anticoagulation Center in Worcester works closely with physicians and staff to ensure safe and effective anticoagulation therapy that is uniquely tailored for each patient. When your physician refers you to the center, your visit will include:
- Meeting with a nurse practitioner to review your health history, identify medications, and evaluate length and safety of treatment.
- Receiving education related to warfarin (Coumadin), side effects, and drug and dietary interactions.
All of your following visits will be with a registered nurse who evaluates doses of medication and adjusts them as necessary. You will undergo regular testing to make sure you are receiving the right amount of medication.
Anticoagulation Services in Central Massachusetts
The center provides comprehensive care for patients who require anticoagulation therapy. Our services include:
- On-site clinic provides blood testing with immediate warfarin (Coumadin) dose recommendations
- Provision of other anticoagulation medications for patients who are not able to take warfarin (Coumadin) for brief periods of time due to surgical procedures
- Screening of patients and family members for suspected inherited predispositions to blood clotting disorders
- Home coagulation monitoring and management programs (Our anticoagulation team was recognized nationally by the Anticoagulation Forum/Anticoagulation Centers of Excellence for work in their patient self-testing program.)
- Patient and family education
Anticoagulation Center now located on the Hahnemann Campus
Visit our Anticoagulation Center on the first floor of our Hahnemann Campus. View details.
Our telephone number remains the same: 508-793-5200.