Title: Registered Nurse (RN)
Department: Emergency - CC
Requisition #: 183457
Shift: 7:00pm to 7:30am including every third weekend and holiday
Posting Date: 8/21/2018
Location: Clinton Campus
Required: A minimum of 3 years of recent/current experience working as an Emergency Department RN
UMass Memorial HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital is part of the UMass Memorial Health Care system. Serving northern central Massachusetts, we are committed to improving the health of people through excellence in care and comprehensive health services. Promoting healthy lifestyle habits, we serve as a role model by having a tobacco and smoke free campus and hiring nicotine free employees. By exploring careers with us, you are committed to giving your best to our patients, our community and everyone working on our HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital Care Team. Whatever your career choice, know that at HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital you can make a difference.
The Registered Nurse is responsible for the planning, delivery and management of direct patient care using the nursing process and adhering to the standards of nursing practice within a specific unit or clinical area.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Nursing Process: Utilizes the nursing process for the delivery and management of patient’s care.
- Maintains assignment of patients and caseload according to unit guidelines and established standards of practice.
- Uses positive customer service skills when communicating with patient and patient’s family.
- Utilizes the nursing process for the delivery and management of the patient’s care.
- Utilizes clinical reasoning and critical thinking.
- Involves patient, family/significant others and other disciplines in decision making related to the patient’s plan of care.
- Serves as a patient and family advocate.
- Implements interventions consistent with hospital standards of practice and prescribed medical plan of care and evidence based practice.
- Documents the patient assessment, plan of care, and response to intervention. Meets all unit documentation standards.
- Communicates and coordinates the patient’s plan of care to ensure continuity of care.
- Maintains competency in management of clinical emergencies.
- Provides complete communications in SBAR format (Situation, background, assessment, recommendations) to relieving staff members and demonstrates advanced planning for the patient.
- Navigates through the critical elements of the patient medical record software and HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital Intranet.
Clinical Practice: Demonstrates/applies the skill and judgment necessary to implement the medical/nursing plan of care, nursing interventions and procedures necessary for the care of the patient.
- Bases clinical practice on evidence, unit guidelines, and professional standards to improve the quality of care and to guide clinical judgments.
- Demonstrates essential knowledge of pharmacology/medications in administering drugs and monitoring the patient’s response.
- Maintains competency with technology and equipment. Utilizes equipment in a safe manner.
- Uses appropriate infection control and safety practices in all duties.
- Acts as a charge nurse as requested by the nursing management team.
- Delegates responsibilities to others according to Massachusetts general laws and practice guidelines with an understanding of their roles, knowledge and capabilities.
- Facilitates cooperative and collaborative relationships among the various disciplines and departments to ensure effective quality patient care.
- Works weekends, holidays and off-shifts as required by unit staffing needs.
Climate: Influences others by establishing a climate for optimal patient care, mutually supportive collegial relationships and professional development.
- Holds self accountable for professional practice.
- Presents self in a calm and professional manner and effectively verbalizes relevant problems during daily interactions, and/or staff meetings.
- Interacts and copes effectively with diverse populations in stressful situations resulting from trauma and illness.
- Participates in performance improvement activities utilizing principles to support and improve patient care.
- Demonstrates knowledge of unit goals and is active in committees and projects to achieve these goals.
- Attends and actively participates in staff meetings. Accepts responsibility for reading staff meeting minutes when not able to attend.
- Keeps current with literature regarding changing practices, interventions and best practices in patient care.
- Assumes responsibility for seeking out educational and professional opportunities for personal learning needs and growth.
- Assumes responsibility for meeting mandatory education requirements and unit specific education and competencies.
- Acts as a preceptor as requested.
Job duties for all positions:
- The individual must support the mission, vision, and goals of HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital and serve as a role model for the CARES- It Happens Here customer service initiative.
- Demonstrates excellent work attendance and attends and actively participates in a variety of meetings and training sessions as required.
- Demonstrates a friendly, responsive, service-minded attitude to all customers.
- Communicates ideas effectively. Shares information and keeps others properly informed. Gives, and is open to useful feedback.
- Adheres to the HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital Code of Conduct and Behavior Standards. Complies with established policies and procedures and all health and safety requirements.
- Maintains, and fosters, a clean, safe work environment.
- Actively contributes to the development and application of process improvements.
- Maintains a collaborative, team relationship with peers and colleagues in order to effectively contribute to the group’s achievement of goals and to help foster a positive work environment.
- Demonstrates respect for the diversity of patient and employee populations. Supports and encourages diverse points of view, work and lifestyles.
- Practices cost containment and fiscal responsibility through the efficient use of supplies, equipment, time, etc.
- Performs a variety of related duties as assigned.
JOB KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Possesses and applies the skills and knowledge necessary to provide care to patients throughout the life span, with consideration of aging process, human development stages and cultural patterns in each step of the care process.
Ability to provide care for a designated group of patients according to the unit guidelines and hospital policies, procedures and protocols.
Ability to lead, guide and motivate staff.
Ability to read, write and speak clearly in English.
Must be a graduate of a recognized school of Nursing
A Bachelor’s degree (BSN) in Nursing is preferred.
2-3 years of Nursing experience preferred.
An equivalent combination of education and experience, which provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility listed above, may be substituted for the above education and experience requirements.
Must have a current Massachusetts Registered Nurse License.
Certification in a nursing specialty desired.