Our Teen Program
Our highly regarded Teen Program is designed for high school students, ages 15 to 17. (Students must be at least 16 years old to volunteer in Patient Transport and on the Pediatric Floor.) Our teen volunteers can explore potential careers in health care while providing a valuable service to the hospital.
You’ll work in a professional environment alongside highly experienced staff and with direct responsibilities to support patient care. To be successful, you should be eager to help others, have good verbal communication skills and an interest in assisting patients.
Teen volunteers may assist in activities such as:
- Distributing books and magazines to waiting areas
- Delivering flowers and mail to patients
- Assisting staff with clerical duties
- Delivering "Project Linus" blankets to Pediatrics
All of our volunteers are required to act in a professional manner and abide by hospital policies and procedures.
The Teen Program runs year-round and operates Monday through Friday. The minimum time commitments are as follows:
- School Year Volunteers — One afternoon per week for two hours (Monday through Friday, 2:30-4:30 pm). A commitment for the entire school year is required.
- Summertime Volunteers — One day per week for approximately four hours (Monday through Friday). A commitment for eight weeks is required. Volunteering begins at the end of the school year and runs until the end of August. In order to maximize quality patient care and ensure the professional growth and development of our teen volunteers, time off is limited to two weeks.
OUR COLLEGE PROGRAM
We offer school-year and summer programs to college students. The summer College Program begins in May and runs through the end of August. Students can complete community service required by their college or internships, or they can volunteer to get exposure to the hospital environment before they make a commitment to a career in the medical field.