One of the hospital’s most popular educational programs is Safe Summer Fun Day. Safe Summer Fun Day is a free child-oriented health and safety fair that features hands-on hospital exhibits. One of the event's signature activities is the bike helmet fitting tent where trained UMass Memorial-Marlborough Hospital staff properly fits and gives away children's bicycle helmets.
Safe Summer Fun Day also features fun, family-oriented activities such as an obstacle course, a trackless train, a deejay, balloon animals, games and contests.
Below is a summary of Safe Summer Fun Day:
- Safe Summer Fun Day is on Saturday, June 1st, 2019 from 10 am to 2 pm. It is held in the front of the hospital under the trees and in the parking lot.
- Some of the other topics include backpack safety, how a heart monitor works, educational information on the importance of hand washing, dental safety, gun safety, drug awareness and healthy eating. Free health related pamphlets are available in several languages for our diverse attendees. Books are also available for children distribution to emphasize the importance of literacy for good health and safety.
- Representatives from the fire department are present with equipment to teach fire safety.
- Ambulances are present so children can climb inside of them and talk to the health care professionals.
- Life Flight, the medical helicopter arrives and children can look inside this emergency medical vehicle and meet the highly trained physicians, pilots and nurses who staff it.