Colon and Rectal Surgery
General surgeons at UMass Memorial - Marlborough Hospital work collaboratively with gastroenterologists, endoscopists, physical therapists and other colorectal specialists to provide individualized care for our patients.
Colon and Rectal Conditions We Treat
Supported by a team of experienced anesthesiologists and surgical nurses, our surgeons provide a wide range of colorectal surgical procedures and supportive follow-up care. We treat a wide range of colon and rectal conditions, including:
- Colon cancer
- Rectal cancer
- Colon and rectal polyps
- Anal cancer
- Anorectal conditions such as hemorrhoids, fissures, fistulas, abscesses and warts
- Inflammatory bowel diseases
- Crohn's disease
- Ulcerative colitis
- Bowel obstructions
- Intestinal fistulas (enterocutaneous, colovesicle, rectovaginal and rectourethral)
- Endometriosis of the bowel
- Presacral tumors
- Stoma prolapsed and parastomal hernia (colostomy and ileostomy complications)
- Radiation proctitis
- Pelvic floor disorders such as fecal incontinence, rectal prolapse and constipation
- Anal hidradenitis
- Pilonidal cysts
- Anal stenosis
Minimally Invasive Colon and Rectal Surgery
Laparoscopic (minimally invasive) surgery is an alternative to open surgery where your surgeon uses a series of small incisions rather than one large one. Several colon and rectal surgeries can be completed using this method.
Our surgeons may recommend minimally invasive surgery for your condition as patients usually experience less pain and a faster recovery time.
Access to Specialized Care in Worcester, Massachusetts
Because Marlborough Hospital is a member of UMass Memorial Health Care, when necessary our physicians can provide you with direct access to more specialized surgeries and clinical trials at UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester.