At UMass Memorial Medical Center, we continuously strive to improve the health of the people of Central New England through excellence in clinical care, service, teaching and research. To deliver on this promise, we improve the quality and safety of the care we deliver to you and your family and friends. We are proud of our achievements, but we strive to better the care we provide even more. With pride, we share this information on how we meet and exceed national standards of patient care.
Quality and Safety Achievements for Cancer Care
The Cancer Center of Excellence at UMass Memorial Medical Center has achieved the following recognitions:
- Our Cancer program was recognized by US News & World Report as high performing three years in a row (2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2013-2014)
- The American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer granted the Medical Center a three-year accreditation with commendation, its highest level of approval. Only one in four US hospitals that treat cancer receives this special recognition.
Quality and Safety Achievements for Diabetes Care
The Diabetes Center of Excellence has achieved quality recognition by the following agencies:
- Our diabetes and endocrinology program was recognized as high performing by US News & World Report in 2012-2013.
- The Diabetes Center of Excellence is the first health care provider in the United States to integrate MyCare Team Clinical, a web-based diabetes management system from MyCare Team, with our electronic medical record to improve long-term diabetes management and enable collaboration among providers for better patient care.
- The center’s self-management education model is approved by the American Diabetes Association (ADA), which means we’ve met high national standards for our comprehensive diabetes education.
- Our pediatric diabetes clinic is the only ADA-approved program for children in Central Massachusetts.
Quality and Safety Achievements for Cardiac and Vascular Care
The Heart and Vascular Center of Excellence is considered a leader in cardiovascular care. These are some of the major cardiac and vascular quality accomplishments.
- Five years running, the Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) awarded its highest designation – three stars – to our Cardiac Surgery Program for coronary artery bypass surgery. UMass Memorial Medical Center is one of 968 hospitals that participate in the STS cardiac surgery database that measures quality and results in a national database. Only 14 percent of these hospitals receive a three-star rating.
- Number One hospital in Massachusetts for surviving a heart attack
- Our Medical Center was the first in Massachusetts to offer branched graft surgery, a life-saving technique to repair abdominal aortic aneurysms
- First hospital in Central Massachusetts to offer Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
for our patients suffering with Aortic Stenosis
Quality and Safety Achievements for Orthopedic Care
The Musculoskeletal Center of Excellence is renowned for its excellent quality and patient results. Some of their notable achievements include:
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield has designated the UMass Memorial Medical Center as a Blue Distinction® Center for Knee and Hip Replacement and Spine Surgery
- Consumer Reports 2013 hospital rankings reported UMass Memorial Medical Center as a top hospital for Orthopedics
- Selected leader for the first national database of joint replacement patients.
• The Medical Center’s Department of Orthopedics was given high accolades by Consumer Reports in its first-ever surgery ratings.
Quality and Safety Achievements in Critical Care
UMass Memorial Medical Center provides a level of critical care that is solving for the growing demand for high quality critical care in complex health care systems.
The eICU program supports bedside doctors and nurses in caring for patients in 13 adult ICUs that are housed in seven hospitals across the state of Massachusetts.
Quality and Safety Achievements in the Pediatric Care
Pediatric surgeons at the Children’s Medical Center are the first in Central Massachusetts and among a select few in all of New England to perform single port laparoscopic surgery. The small, single incision results in a decrease in post-operative pain with just one tiny incision, and kids are able to return to school and other activities more quickly.
Quality and Safety Achievements in Digestive Services (Gastroenterology)
US News & World Report 2013-14 hospital rankings reported UMass Memorial Medical Center as a top performer in digestive diseases and gastroenterology services for the third year in a row.
Quality and Safety Achievements in Primary Care
A medical home initiative is transforming six practices at UMass Memorial Health Care. The move to medical home creates a 21st century model of care. Medical homes provide efficient, coordinated and enhanced self-care support and access by managing patient populations.