What Can You Do As a Patient
Getting Involved in Your Care
Our entire UMass Memorial team makes patient safety a priority. As our patient, we invite you to play a part in making your care safe, too.
Here is how you can be an active, involved and informed member of your health care team.
- Speak up if you have questions or concerns.
- Pay attention to the care you are receiving.
- Educate yourself about your condition, treatment plan and any medical test you are having.
- Know the medications you take and why you take them.
- Participate in all decisions about your treatment.
Additional Information to Help Keep You Safe
It’s not unusual to feel overwhelmed and/or confused while you are in the hospital. This can be caused by new surroundings, sleeping in a bed that is not their usual bed, medicines and having surgery or other treatments. You may get confused when talking, and may not recognize family and visitors. However, your family members or friends can help if get confused during your stay.
Our staff will work with your loved ones to develop a plan that decreases your anxiety. Some ways that may help you include:
- Calm and reassuring interactions with your loved ones
- Simple directions from our staff.
- Inviting family or loved ones to stay with you or be present during crucial conversations
Please speak with the nurse caring for you to learn more about how we can best ease you during your stay with us.