Preparing for Your Joint Replacement Surgery
Once you and your orthopedic physician have decided that joint replacement surgery is right for you, it is recommended to prepare yourself and your home before surgery.
At UMass Memorial Medical Center, we offer informational classes for patients considering a total hip or knee replacement surgery. These free classes at our Medical Center in Worcester – focus on what to expect before, during and after surgery. Patients are welcome to bring their caregivers and adult family members. Educational materials and free aids to assist with daily living are provided.
Classes are offered weekly every Monday at 9:30 am and Tuesday at 3 pm. Please call 508-334-1955 to confirm times before arrival.
For additional information, please download our printable booklets:
About Your Stay
The newly renovated Arthritis and Joint Replacement Center at Memorial Campus provides patients with:
- Private rooms with private baths
- Ergonomically designed hip chairs that enable patients to spend more time out of bed
- Amenities that include free Internet access and flat screen TVs with cable
- Family zones for visitors and a place for loved ones to rest
- Nurses’ stations located nearby for quick assistance
- Fully equipped inpatient rehabilitation gym on the same floor
It is our hope that you will be up and walking within a short time after your surgery and able to start your exercises to recovery.
Home Exercises after Total Joint Replacement Surgery
After your surgery, your orthopedic physician and rehabilitation team will prescribe exercises for you to do at home, which are very important for the success of your recovery, range of motion and long term healing.