UMass Memorial Children’s Medical Center specialists in pediatric neurology can evaluate and treat your child for neurology problems, which are disorders with the central nervous system.
Pediatric Neurology Conditions We Treat:
Our pediatric neurology team treats children up to 18 years old. Physicians have expertise in various neurological disorders including:
- Infectious, inflammatory and autoimmune disorders of the nervous system
- Complicated headaches and migraines
- Tic disorders
- Cerebral palsy
- Brain tumors
- Neurological disorders resulting from congenital or genetic conditions
- Central nervous system neoplasms (benign or malignant tumors)
- Neuromuscular disorders affecting muscles and nerves
- Neurocutaneous syndromes
- Metabolic disorders affecting the nervous system
Pediatric Neurology Services
The services we provide include:
- Our epilepsy program includes two pediatric epileptologists (pediatric neurologists with additional training in epilepsy). We are the only medical facility in Central Massachusetts with physicians who have special training in pediatric epilepsy and electroencephalography (EEG). Many conditions in infants and children mimic seizures and epilepsy so an accurate diagnosis is essential. Treatment is individualized and may include medication, vagal nerve stimulator (VNS) and surgery in some cases.
- Programs for cerebral palsy and myelodysplasia
- State-of-the-art neuroimaging and neurophysiology services such as computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT), ambulatory electroencephalogram (EEG) monitoring, inpatient EEG video telemetry and evoked potentials
- Neuropsychology program for assessment of cognitive, academic and behavioral/emotional functioning that are caused by neurology disorders, general medical conditions or developmental disabilities
- Consultation in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Sleep studies to assist in the relief of symptoms associated with sleep disorders
- Our team works with the Center for Autism and Neurodevelopment Disorders (CANDO) to provide autism services.