Gastroenterology Testing and Screening
Many diagnostic tests available today can tell doctors if you have a digestive disorder. Your doctor will decide which screening test is best for you based on your medical history, risk factors and symptoms.
Gastroenterology Procedures at UMass Memorial Medical Center
You have easy access to the help you need at UMass Memorial Medical Center. Our gastroenterologists are leaders in Central Massachusetts in performing diagnostic procedures such as:
- Colonoscopy: This is the standard screening exam for detecting colorectal cancer and other diseases of the lower digestive tract. It allows doctors to look at the interior of your large intestine and helps detect polyps, tumors, ulcers, and inflammation of the rectum and colon.
- Video capsule endoscopy: This painless and noninvasive approach may be used to examine your gastrointestinal tract. You swallow a disposable, miniature video camera contained in a capsule, which delivers high-quality color images while you continue normal daily activities. This state-of-the-art technology can diagnose conditions such as Crohns' disease, celiac disease, tumors, iron deficiency anemia and obscure bleeding.
- Endoscopic ultrasound: This plays an important role in the management of upper gastrointestinal disorders of the esophagus, pancreas, stomach, lung and bile duct. With this technology our doctors can view various types of cancers, evaluate chronic pancreatitis, and study abnormalities of the bile duct and lesions in the intestinal wall.
- Photodynamic laser therapy: A nonsurgical treatment of esophageal cancers and Barrett's esophagus, this therapy involves intravenous infusion of a photosensitive agent, which is retained in cells. Light from a laser is absorbed into the cells and produces oxygen radicals, which destroy the abnormal cells.
- Double balloon enteroscopy: Also known as DBE, this procedure is performed with one of the few specialized scopes available in the United States. DBE allows the endoscopist to view your entire small intestine and obtain an endoscopic exam. More importantly, it allows your doctor to perform various procedures throughout the small intestine.