Heart Failure Services
Our cardiologists are experts in treating heart failure, allowing you to experience greater independence and symptom relief. Our goal is to help you feel better while living with heart failure.
Treatment for Heart Failure
Heart failure requires long-term care and monitoring. Through our Heart Failure Program and our Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy Clinic, both available at the Medical Center, we offer you the most promising treatment options available for heart failure.
Device Reduces Hospital Admissions and Improves Health
UMass Memorial Medical Center is the first in Central Massachusetts to implant a miniaturized, wireless monitoring sensor to manage HF. The CardioMEMS HF System is the first and only FDA-approved heart failure monitoring device that has been proven to significantly reduce hospital admissions, and improve your health and outcome. Staff monitors changes and can adjust your treatment plans or medications before the symptoms become a problem. This video, Improving Life with the CardioMEM HF System, shows how the implant works and how the data is transmitted through a special pillow.
CardioMEMS and St. Jude Medical are trademarks of St. Jude Medical, Inc. or its related companies. Reprinted with permission of St. Jude Medical, ©2015. All rights reserved.
Our patients work as active partners with their physicians to manage their disease. Using a team approach, we make sure that patients receive appropriate testing and treatment, as well as education about their illness and instructions when they leave the hospital.
Heart Failure Services in Central New England
Our services include:
- Heart failure assessment and diagnosis
- Heart failure treatment using national guidelines
- Ongoing active heart failure disease management and evaluation of the effectiveness of medications, lifestyle modifications and other conditions affecting your heart
- Assessment for cardiac revascularization or other forms of cardiac surgery
- Referrals for electrophysiology services such as pacemakers, implantable defibrillators and resynchronization therapy; and our pulmonary hypertension program if necessary
- Evaluation for advanced therapies such as left ventricular assist devices and cardiac transplantation
- Partnership with Tufts Medical Center, which offers an Integrated Cardiac Transplantation Program: You will be assessed at UMass Memorial, go to Boston for the transplant, and then come back to UMass Memorial for follow-up heart failure care.