The colorectal specialists at UMass Memorial Medical Center provide a number of options to help you manage severe hemorrhoids. Our surgeons carefully assess which technique is best for you, based on your specific condition, general health and individual lifestyle.
Comprehensive Hemorrhoid Treatment for Patients in Central Massachusetts
UMass Memorial’s surgeons offer a variety of treatments for hemorrhoids, including:
- Supplementing your diet with fiber
- Banding internal hemorrhoids (office procedure)
- Traditional hemorrhoidectomy (surgery)
PPH Surgery at UMass Memorial Medical Center
At UMass Memorial Medical Center, our surgeons offer a newer technique for managing hemorrhoids called the Procedure for Prolapse and Hemorrhoids (PPH). PPH involves "stapling" tissue to remove prolapsed hemorrhoidal tissue and reduce blood flow to the hemorrhoid so that it shrinks.
- The surgeon uses a special circular stapler device to "lift up" or reposition the anal canal tissue.
- This procedure treats bleeding, prolapse, pain and discharge from hemorrhoids
- The surgeon reduces the blood flow to the remaining internal hemorrhoids, causing them to shrink within four to six weeks after the procedure.
Patients who undergo PPH often experience:
- Less pain
- Quicker recovery
- Less need for postoperative pain medicine