If you are facing a diagnosis of urologic cancer, you need the most advanced care. UMass Memorial Health Care’s Urologic Cancer program offers a comprehensive array of today’s most innovative treatment options in urologic cancer care.
The Types of Urologic Cancer We Treat at UMass Memorial
Our board-certified, fellowship-trained specialists have extensive experience in treating all types of cancer affecting the urinary tract in men, women and children, and the reproductive organs in men:
- Prostate cancer – A malignant tumor of the prostate, the gland that produces some of the components of semen. One of the most common cancers in men.
- Bladder cancer – A type of cancer that begins in the bladder, the pelvic organ that stores urine.
- Kidney cancer – The kidneys remove waste products from the blood and produce urine. Renal cell cancer is the most common type of kidney cancer in adults and Wilms tumors is the most common in children.
- Penile cancer – A malignant growth found on the skin or in the tissues of the penis.
- Testicular cancer – A malignant tumor of the male sex organ (testicle) that normally produces the hormone testosterone.
- Adrenal cancer – This is a rare cancer that develops in the small glands, located on top of the kidneys, that produce hormones that control the immune system, metabolism and the body’s stress response.
If you would like to learn more about any of these conditions, simply click on the topic above.
The Urologic Cancer Treatments Available at UMass Memorial
Patients with urologic cancer receive state-of-the-art care through our Urologic Oncology program at UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester. Patients with benign (non-cancerous), malignant (cancerous) and metastatic (spreading) urologic tumors benefit from the expertise of a team of physicians who specialize in treating these conditions.
Our urologic oncology specialists provide an exceptional depth and breadth of clinical expertise that is unmatched in Central Massachusetts, and we offer cutting-edge treatment options, including:
- Surgery to remove urologic tumors, including minimally invasive, robotically assisted surgery
- Targeted chemotherapies
- Biologic and immunotherapies
- Radiation therapy
- Access to novel treatments through cancer research and clinical trials
Innovative Program for Urologic Cancer Surgery Patients at UMass Memorial
If you’re undergoing surgery for the treatment of urologic cancer at UMass Memorial, you will benefit from our innovative Perioperative Surgical Home (PSH) initiative.
A partnership between the departments of Urology and Anesthesiology, this initiative provides enhanced care coordination from the time you are diagnosed through recovery and recuperation. Our aim is to further ensure the quality, safety and cost-effectiveness of your care – and your satisfaction.
For more information on the PSH project, please call us at 508-334-1095.
The Value of a Multidisciplinary Team Approach to Cancer Care
Diagnosing and treating urologic cancer requires the skill and knowledge of many different specialists. We bring all these experts together in one place: the renowned UMass Memorial Cancer Center of Excellence.
Our urologic cancer specialists meet regularly with a multidisciplinary team to review and discuss complex cases – and develop a care plan that’s tailored to each patient’s needs. It’s a comprehensive, personalized approach that delivers the best-possible patient outcomes.
Urologic Cancer Diagnosis
To treat cancer effectively, timely, accurate diagnosis and staging are essential. The Urologic Oncology program at UMass Memorial gives you access to all of today’s most advanced diagnostic technologies:
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Computed tomography (CT)
- Single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT)
- Digital X-ray and other digital diagnostic imaging tests used to identify cancer
- Percutaneous image-guided and/or surgical biopsy
- Pathology lab services to examine tissue samples to precisely identify the type of tumor
Support Services for Patients and Families
We understand that cancer has an emotional as well as physical impact. That’s why we offer extensive support services for you and your family at our Medical Center in Worcester as well as throughout the community. These services include:
- Nutritional counseling
- Home care coordination
- Genetic screening and counseling
- Pain management
- Palliative care (quality-of-life care)
- Support groups
- An onsite American Cancer Society Resource Center
Urologic Cancer Care for Children
UMass Memorial’s Children’s Medical Center is home to the region’s only pediatric urology program, giving you close-to-home access to an unparalleled level of expertise when it comes to treating children with urologic cancer. Learn more about our Pediatric Urology Program.