As one of the largest radiation oncology centers in the eastern United States, UMass Memorial provides advanced radiation therapy options for nearly 2,000 patients each year.
What You Need to Know About Radiation Oncology
- Our Varian Trilogy linear accelerator delivers radiation therapy treatment in only a few minutes.
- Unlike older technologies such as the Gamma Knife and the CyberKnife, the Trilogy unit uses four-dimensional technology for exceptional speed, power and treatment precision.
- Our physicians are national leaders in the field of radiation oncology.
- We are nationally accredited in radiation oncology by the American College of Radiology (ACR). The ACR awards accreditation to facilities for meeting high practice standards.
- We are the first in New England to offer Trilogy RapidArc, a cutting-edge treatment that is more accurate and reduces treatment times.
Radiation oncology (or radiation therapy) is a standard treatment for many cancers. The process uses high-energy X-rays or radiation implants to attack abdomen, bone, brain, breast, head and neck, prostate, spine, uterine, certain soft tissues and other cancer cells.
You can receive the following services:
- Stereotactic surgery, a precise method for treating tumors
- Total body irradiation
- Prostate seed implants
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), a 3D therapy that uses computer-generated for more precise delivery of radiation to the tumor
Radiation therapy is offered throughout Central Massachusetts:
- UMass Memorial Medical Center – Worcester
- HealthAlliance Hospital – Fitchburg
- Marlborough Hospital – Marlborough
- Harrington Memorial Hospital - Southbridge