If you’re having trouble getting pregnant, UMass Memorial Medical Center can help. Ours is the only hospital in Central Massachusetts with a team of fellowship-trained infertility specialists – doctors with advanced expertise in helping women get pregnant – who offer complete evaluation and infertility treatment.
What Is Infertility?
Infertility is defined as one year of attempting to get pregnant without success, and it affects about 15 percent of all couples for various reasons. Because there are so many different causes of infertility, a comprehensive evaluation that supports both your physical and emotional health is an important first step. Your infertility evaluation may involve any or all of the following
- Complete medical and reproductive history
- Physical examination
- Blood and imaging tests
- Male infertility testing
- Genetic consultation
Infertility Treatment Services at UMass Memorial Medical Center
Treatment depends on the cause of infertility, and is carefully matched to your individual needs and concerns. Treatment for infertility may include:
- Education and counseling
- Medicines that help women grow and release eggs from the ovaries (ovulation)
- Surgery to correct anatomical (body structure) problems that prevent a woman from getting pregnant
- Collaboration with urologists for male infertility issues
- Coordination of fertility treatments such as intrauterine insemination and in vitro fertilization (also known as IVF)
- Support of the decision to pursue adoption
When surgery is part of your fertility treatment, we offer the most advanced, minimally invasive techniques for less scarring, less pain and blood loss, fewer complications, shorter hospital stay and faster recovery.
In Vitro Fertilization Services
Our infertility patients who undergo in vitro fertilization are cared for by our expert staff and receive ongoing blood testing and ultrasound exams at the Medical Center. The IVF process for retrieving eggs, creating embryos (fertilizing the eggs) and implanting them inside the uterus is managed at our partner facility.
For additional information, please download our printable brochure, "Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility.”