Pediatric Infectious Diseases
Bacterial, viral, parasitic or fungal infections are all types of infectious diseases that can make your child sick and are reason for concern. These illnesses need to be treated by specialists who are committed to preventing and treating acute and chronic infectious diseases including HIV and AIDS.
Types of Infectious Diseases We Treat
Typical referrals include children with:
- Lyme disease
- Complicated pneumonias
- Osteomyelitis (infection of the bone)
- Persistent fever or fever of unknown origin
- Lymphadenopathy (inflammation of the lymph nodes)
- Recurrent infections
- Complicated methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infection
HIV Care for Children
Children who need home intravenous antibiotic administration are also seen. Children suspected or proven to have HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection are usually seen by our HIV/AIDS team of experts.
Children's Travel Clinic
Our Pediatric Travelers' Clinic prepares children and parents for overseas travel, and an International Child Health Clinic provides services to children who come to this country via immigration or adoption.
Pediatric travelers' health services include:
- Country-specific information about disease risks and prevention
- Review of disease risks based on travel itinerary
- Information about disease prevention and medications to prevent disease
- Immunization record updates
- Administering immunizations
- Informing the child's primary care provider about immunizations given and medications prescribed
It is helpful to plan your travel clinic visit a month or more in advance of your trip so you have time to receive all necessary vaccines and take all necessary prevention measures before traveling.
Children’s Medical Center
55 Lake Avenue North,
Worcester, MA 01655