If you suffer from symptoms of arthritis or need a hip or knee replacement, turn to our specialists at UMass Memorial Medical Center for nationally recognized, award-winning care close to home in Central New England.
Hip Replacement and Knee Replacement Surgery in Central Massachusetts
At UMass Memorial Medical Center, our Arthritis and Joint Replacement Center is a national leader in the treatment of arthritis and joint pain.
Our highly trained orthopedic surgeons perform hundreds of total hip replacements and total knee replacements a year with excellent outcomes. And the more a surgeon performs certain procedures and operations, the more skillful he or she becomes at doing them — and the better patients recover. Our patients’ outcomes speak to that.
Most important is how a patient’s activity and physical functioning improve after treatment. Our surgeons incorporate the latest technological advancements into their practice, including the use of smaller incisions and new, longer-lasting artificial components, when appropriate. This means a faster and less painful recovery for you.
Can joint replacement help you? Learn more in this helpful video.
Joint Replacement Expertise
UMass Memorial’s hip replacement and knee replacement program is locally and nationally recognized:
- Lowest knee and hip prosthesis infection rate in Massachusetts – Reporting a Standardized Infection Ration of 0.0 (Source: Mass. Dept. of Public Health 2014 HAI Data Summary) which means you will have a shorter length of stay and go home sooner to recover
- National Excellence: According to the Federal Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), our orthopedics program is one of the best — a model program that is nationally known for quality of care and exceptional patient results. The AHRQ selected us to lead a first-of-its-kind database of total joint replacement patients to assess outcomes and quality of life.
- Read more about the Force TJR (Function and Outcomes Research for Comparative Effectiveness in Total Joint Replacement) Registry in the
Force TJR Annual Report 2015
- Award-Winning Care: Our Musculoskeletal Center of Excellence is designated by Blue Cross and Blue Shield as a Blue Distinction Center+ for Specialty Care® in knee replacement and hip replacement, an honor given to hospitals that demonstrate expertise in total knee and total hip replacement surgeries, resulting in fewer patient complications and hospital readmissions, and leading in value and quality for patients.
- Clinical Research: Researchers at the UMass Memorial Musculoskeletal Center of Excellence and UMass Medical School have earned national honors and awards for their work in improving functional results in patients who undergo total joint replacement surgery. In fact, the Agency on Healthcare Research and Quality selected UMass Memorial to lead a first-of-its-kind national database of joint replacement patients to evaluate outcomes and patient safety.
Video: Joint Replacement In-depth
Preparing for Hip Replacement or Knee Replacement Surgery
At UMass Memorial Medical Center, we offer informational classes for patients considering a total hip or knee replacement surgery. These free classes at our Medical Center in Worcester – focus on what to expect before, during and after surgery. Patients are welcome to bring their caregivers and adult family members. Educational materials and free aids to assist with daily living will be provided.
Classes are offered weekly every Monday at 9:30 am and Tuesday at 3 pm. Please call 508-334-1955 to confirm times before arrival.
For additional information, please download our printable booklets: