From life’s little mishaps to major medical emergencies, UMass Memorial Medical Center is here for you. We provide the most advanced emergency care in Central Massachusetts for adults and children with injuries and illnesses—from simple to complex and life threatening.
Emergency Care at UMass Memorial Medical Center
Our emergency room staff at UMass Memorial Medical Center have decades of experience in treating as a leading academic medical center Emergency Department. In fact, UMass Memorial Medical Center is the only center in the region to be verified by the American College of Surgeons as a Level 1 Trauma Center. You won’t find the same level of experience and expert care anywhere else in Central New England.
Each year we treat approximately 135,000 patients. We offer:
- Life Flight air ambulance
- Emergency Medical Services (ambulance response)
- Trauma Center
- Cardiac Catheterization Lab
- Stroke Center
- Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- Emergency Mental Health Services
UMass Memorial’s Emergency Medical Services manages the 911 call center for Worcester and many surrounding towns, making sure you get the care you need as quickly as possible. Our paramedics and emergency medical technicians are all trained in advanced life support and other critical care techniques.
One Emergency Department, Two Campuses
UMass Memorial has two emergency department locations in Worcester: The Duddie Massad Emergency and Trauma Center on the University Campus (55 Lake Avenue North) and the Emergency Department on the Memorial Campus (119 Belmont Street). Both locations offer a comfortable environment, featuring modern technology and highly experienced staff that care for all your medical emergencies from the routine to the most complex.
Emergency care services include:
- 100 private treatment rooms (66 at the University Campus, 34 at Memorial Campus)
- A dedicated room to provide a private and compassionate setting for sexual assault victims
- A negative-pressure environment to ensure patient and staff safety when treating potentially infectious diseases
- On-site radiology unit for prompt digital imaging testing
- Confidential, private space for patients in need of emergency mental health services
We also have a dedicated Pediatric Emergency Department to care for your children, located in the Dr. Arthur and Martha Pappas Pediatric Care Pavilion on the University Campus.
Pediatric Emergency and Urgent Care
Children aren’t just small adults. They require staff and physicians with advanced training in the care of children with critical illnesses or injuries.
- Your child will be seen in one of our 13 private rooms where they will be treated in a warm, caring environment.
- Child life specialists are available to explain tests and procedures in a way that children understand.
- Our Hanover Insurance Group Children's Waiting Area is a dedicated place just for children and families.
Urgent care for children and adolescents is provided in PediPlace, adjacent to the Pediatric Emergency Department. Your child will receive expert medical care when your pediatrician or family doctor is unavailable. Many area doctors regularly refer children to PediPlace for after-hours visits because they know the staff prides itself on quality care and attentive service.
UMass Memorial Emergency Medicine sponsors the Disaster Medical Assistance Team (DMAT MA-2), a volunteer team made up of medical personnel (emergency medicine doctors, nurses, EMTs, paramedics, pharmacists, respiratory therapists, and more) and logistics and communications experts.
DMAT MA-2 responds to local, regional, national and international medical disasters and mass casualty events as part of the National Medical Disaster System.