If you receive a diagnosis of a brain tumor or brain cancer (also called neuro-oncology), you’ll find expert care and treatment at UMass Memorial Cancer Center.
Diseases We Treat
Our team is led by specialists including neurosurgeons, medical oncologists, neurologists, radiation oncologists and pathologists who treat adult and pediatric brain tumors, including:
- Gliomas (low grade and malignant)
- Metastatic brain and spinal tumors
- Nerve sheath (schwannomas and neurofibromas)
- Pituitary tumors
- Skull base
Not Just a Team – A Small Army
The diagnosis and treatment of brain cancer often require the skills of many specialists. We bring together these specialists in a single setting (called multidisciplinary care). Here they discuss care for each patient and develop a thorough treatment program as a team. This provides you the best treatment plan possible.
Treatments Customized to Your Needs
In addition, we offer treatments customized to your needs, with the region’s most advanced technologies, such as:
- Brain mapping
- Genetic counseling
- Image-guided neurosurgery
- Intensity modulated radiation
Research and Clinical Trials
Working with UMass Medical School, the Cancer Center serves as a forum for education and research. Extensive cancer research and clinical trials are conducted so you benefit from the latest diagnostic and treatment options that come from this research.
What You Need to Know
- Brain tumors can be either malignant (cancerous) or benign (noncancerous).
- They can originate in the brain or may spread from another part of the body.
- A metastatic brain tumor is cancer that has spread from another part of the body to the brain.
- The most common cancers that metastasize (spread) are:
- Other types of cancers, such as colon cancer and prostate cancer, spread to the brain less often.
A call or click away:
HOPE line – 866-597 HOPE (4673)
Talk to a patient care coordinator with cancer experience.
Available Mondays through Fridays, 8 am – 4:30 pm.
Calls received during non-business hours will be returned on the next business day.