If your child is suspected to have a neurological disorder or has already been diagnosed with this type of condition, it’s important to know that the UMass Pediatric Neurosurgery Program provides expert, compassionate care for children of all ages—right here in Worcester.
Our fellowship-trained pediatric neurosurgeon works closely with pediatric specialists in neurology, orthopedics, plastic surgery, nursing and other areas to provide comprehensive, child-friendly neurosurgical care in state-of-the-art medical and intensive-care facilities at UMass Memorial’s Children’s Medical Center.
It’s a multidisciplinary approach that ensures the best-possible care and outcomes for children with neurological disorders, in a convenient, comforting and close-to-home setting.
Pediatric Neurological Conditions We Treat
Our pediatric neurosurgery specialists have extensive experience in treating a wide range of conditions, including:
- Congenital (present from birth) malformations of the brain and spine
- Brain tumors
- Epilepsy [LINK to Epilepsy subpage]
- Craniofacial disorders
- Sports injuries, head trauma and concussion
- Vascular abnormalities of the brain and spinal cord
- Spinal disorders, including disk herniations, fractures, tumors, tethered cord and spina bifida
Pediatric Neurosurgery Services We Offer
Our Pediatric Neurosurgery Program uses today’s most advanced technologies and techniques for diagnosing and treating children with neurological disorders, including:
- Intraoperative neuronavigation, which provides exceptionally precise anatomical and functional guidance during surgery
- Intraoperative electrophysiologic monitoring, extremely sensitive electrical testing that minimizes the risk of nerve injury during surgery
- Microneurosurgery, in which a high-powered operating microscope enables the surgeon to use smaller instruments to operate on narrow spaces and delicate structures, so procedures are less invasive, recovery time is faster, hospital stays are shorter and postoperative pain is reduced
- Minimally invasive robotic neurosurgery, in which complex, delicate operations can be performed through very small surgical openings
To refer a patient or schedule an appointment with our Pediatric Neurosurgery team, call 508-334-0605.