Pediatric Sleep Medicine
If your child is having difficulty sleeping, you may want to see a sleep specialist who is trained in children’s sleep disorders.
UMass Memorial Children's Medical Center board-certified pulmonary and neurology sleep specialists work together to help you and your child resolve sleep problems so that your child can lead a healthier life. Whether it’s sleep apnea, leg movement disorders or snoring, sleep problems can have significant consequences on the health and functioning of your child. Sleep disorders can cause a variety of problems during childhood, such as:
- Negative impact on growth and development
- Difficulties in learning as memories are stored while sleeping
- Lack of motivation to learn
- Poor focus and attention
- Less participation in activities
- Irritability and fussiness
Sleep Disorders We Treat
Diagnosis and treatment is available for sleep disorders, including:
- Sleep apnea
- Periodic leg movement syndrome
- Restless leg syndrome
- Parasomnias (night terrors, sleep walking)
- Delayed sleep phase syndrome
- Narcolepsy and cataplexy
- Behavioral insomnia of childhood
In some cases sleep disorders overlap with neurological conditions (such as epilepsy), so accurate diagnosis is key. Our team includes a epileptologist (pediatric neurologist with additional training in epilepsy).
Treatment plans may include behavioral modifications, medications, removal of enlarged tonsils and adenoids and/or continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP).
The center is proud to have the only board-certified pediatric sleep medicine specialists in Central Massachusetts.