UMass Memorial Medical Center strongly believes in organ and tissue donation as a way to save thousands of lives of individuals waiting for an organ or tissue transplant.
Why Should You Become an Organ Donor?
The following information was developed to encourage thoughtful consideration of organ donation and hopefully to advance discussions with family members and friends.
- Every 10 minutes, another name is added to the waiting list for an organ to be used for a lifesaving transplant.
- Today, more than 118,000 Americans are waiting for a lifesaving organ transplant.
- Tragically, every day 22 people die while awaiting a transplant.
- Hundreds of thousands more patients would benefit from a life-enhancing tissue transplant.
- One donor may help many individuals waiting for organ and tissue transplants:
- Three to four patients who are dying from heart, liver or lung failure can be saved
- A kidney transplant can free two patients from dialysis; treatments that can take 12 to 15 hours a week
- A pancreas transplant can free one patient from daily insulin injections
- Bone transplants can help numerous patients save limbs threatened by cancer or severe trauma
- Donated skin can protect numerous burn victims from infection and pain
UMass Memorial is a Medal of Honor Recipient for Organ Donation
UMass Memorial has been awarded the distinguished Medal of Honor seven times by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services for its success in increasing organ donation rates.
New England Donor Services
As of March 2006, Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 90, Section 8D, were amended to allow for individuals to designate on driver license renewals their desire to become organ donors. Next of kin consent is not needed anymore for those who are at least 18 years old. For more information on organ and tissue donation, please contact the New England Donor Services (formerly New England Organ Bank).
Could You Be an Organ Donor?
If you are considering becoming an organ donor, please call us today at 508-334-1269 to find out how you can give the gift of life.