The Wound Center at UMass Memorial offers the highest level of hospital-based wound care services in Central Massachusetts. In our dedicated center, care is managed by plastic and reconstructive surgeons experienced in the causes of and best treatments for wounds of all kinds.
Wound Center at UMass Memorial Medical Center
Wounds can be caused by injury or by disorders such as diabetes, cancer, poor circulation and vascular problems. Types of wounds can include:
- Abdominal wounds
- Decubiti (pressure ulcers, or bed sores)
- Leg ulcers or sores
- Open-wound osteomyelitis (bone infection related to an open wound)
- Venous ulcers (skin wounds, often in the legs, that are caused or prolonged by poor circulation)
- Skin infections and wounds caused by systemic diseases
We take a conservative management approach to treating and healing your wounds, working with your body’s own healing processes. When necessary, however, we use advanced surgical and reconstructive techniques to provide you with the most effective, safest wound care. We focus on:
- Infection control
- Pain-reducing wound dressings
- Reconstructive surgery (such as grafts, flaps and microsurgery)
- Surgical wound debridement (removal of dead skin and tissue)
- Ongoing wound and edema (swelling) management techniques
Through our affiliation with the UMass Medical School, the Wound Center also offers direct access to clinical trials for interested and appropriate patients. To schedule an appointment with one of our wound care specialists call, 508-334-9686.